June 08, 2011

The [New] Way to my Heart

I've discovered that Joanna isn't the only one experiencing a shift in body composition as she becomes 28 weeks pregnant; I've discovered that the myths are true: sympathy weight gain in husbands is as real as a tight pair of pants.

The last few weeks have been hectic.  Hosting a graduation ceremony for 60 families, wrapping up a paper that has taken 2 years to write (another story), sending a team to Africa and life have been keeping us busy.  Our routine of regular exercise has taken a hit as Jo is more limited in what she can do, and I find myself preferring to hang with her (fun and easy!) instead.

I was a runner for years.  5k's, 10k's, 15k's, a half marathon up the side of Pikes Peak - three times, and a road race up the side of Mt Evans - twice!  I was the captain of the cross country team my senior year in high school after running 3 seasons prior.  2 mile records, an ORU Fun Run victory and such.  I was and have been 'that' guy.  There are traces of interest still left.  I could still run a full marathon someday, and I would still love to climb all 55 of Colorado's 14-ers.  That's really just a matter of time.

But cycling.  Cycling offers not only the chance to get in shape (if you're diligent), but also to see [more of] the world around you, feel a 100 year-old continuous feat of engineering beneath your feet, strut proudly in the tightest of spandex, and boast of 40 and 50 mile rides!  And it's different.

Conveniently, in the midst of this inertia embracing season, my birthday happens to be - today.  Yes, I'm a year older, and I can truly say that 27 feels lovely after about 5 conscious hours of it.  But along with the loving embrace and celebration of family, cake and hot dogs; today I'll enjoy gifts.  And this year, Joanna and my parents were especially generous.

My new [to me] 2010 Bianchi ViaNirone.  Fast.
At just the moment I needed a little help in sparking my personal fitness, Joanna agreed to the most extravagant present I'm likely to see for a decade.   I've considered this sport switch for a number of years - and today - I inaugurate it.

And as I do - I've remembered something important: To do things that make me come alive.  The list is fairly long.  Adventures, dates with Joanna, skydiving, leading worship, writing and reading... Cycling is just one more piece of it all.

In the hustle of life, it's easy to let your schedule dominate you.  There will always be demands, even when things seem slow.  If you're addicted to motion and action, you can always find things to do.  The trick is doing your part to keep the fires burning on the inside.  Find whatever that is for you, and schedule it, if you have to.

As the New Life School of Worship takes a break for the summer, as the other two thirds of the staff are in Africa, as I celebrate the passing of one year and the beginning of another and as we enjoy the brief lull before our first baby comes - I'm taking time to enjoy it.  I don't feel guilty for an instant - for I know the time I spend will greater invest itself into my future.

May those moments of coming alive (as John Eldredge might say it) come as often as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment