July 02, 2011

Two Things

This is a bit of a landmark blog for me.  There are two reasons for this.  Neither have much to do with this piece being especially well written, or the fact that I'll have the best stats to gloat over.  With that in mind - I write.

Yesterday, I was officially licensed as a pastor at New Life Church.

There were requirements, yes.  Meetings, yes.  Hard questions to answer, yes.  Easy, no.  It took me about two years to get through it.  I can now legally officiate weddings, and there are tax breaks included that help with the perpetually minuscule salary I'll receive (time to write a book or hit song??), along with a daily schedule that is oftentimes personally produced.  But for me, this is much more than a tax break and a title.  I want it to be.

I'm still discovering what it looks like.  Clearly.  I'm comforted by the repeat recollections of older pastors that affirm my hope: most of us have no idea in the beginning.  But what unites us regardless of tenure is a love for God, and a love of people.  The rest will fall into place along the way.  I'm blessed to be surrounded by the pastoral staff I grew up with; men and women who have been there and can help guide me along the path.

What's more, last week was my last as Director of the School of Worship.

I'm not leaving, no.  The switch came as no surprise to me, since Brad and I had been going through this discussion for months.  It was a combination of things - Brad getting more involved as President, finding the right slot for my talents, and addressing the holes within the program.  Coinciding with my licensing, I'll take on the spiritual formation and pastoring of the students.  I'm honored.

But honestly, in spite of the boldness I may exude, it hasn't been the easiest move.  Most everything about it makes sense, and our new arrangement feels right.  But I'm human.  Change is hard.  Adjustment won't be easy, and it's not supposed to be.  The new arrangement of personnel and my new job could be intimidating.  But I know one thing for sure, something that shapes who I am: I believe God is good regardless of circumstance - and I've chosen to trust him.  That carries me through the turbulent waters of wondering, of future fear.

I'm a pastor; it's what I'm supposed to say right?

Still I'm just as human as the next guy.  That hasn't changed and won't.  I hope to have even more honest conversations with people, searching for the truth and embracing it together.  I hope to bring hope, to encourage life, and belief in a God who takes us right where we are.

1 comment:

  1. Perfect Wes!! I didn't know what Brad's comment meant today...that connections would continue...This position and you are exactly what the future and most recent school of worship students need...My encouragement to you is to "simply love," and you will be an amazing pastor! God bless you Man of God! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete