February 22, 2011

Independence, Dependency and a Solution

There is this ideal, a lofty goal perhaps, especially in American culture that it's best to go off after high school and make it out in the real world.  It's this unspoken expectation in life that at some point after you graduate you should go off and find yourself.  College degrees, the gold rush, the "unclaimed West," the big city... it's a familiar tale.


You might call this "The American Dream."  I'm reminded of Sinatra's song, New York, "if I can make it there, I can make it anywhere..." and New York is, of all places, a "land of opportunity."  It's a very familiar tale.  16 year old son goes off to the big city to work for a few years with promises to return to the family farm, and doesn't.  He makes it big, and stays.  This has gone from exception to rule, and now to expectation.

But in a way, I think the US in particular has now had a wakeup call.  With a slumped economy, college grads have discovered they have to bust their butts to make it; jobs don't just throw themselves at you anymore and a bachelors degree isn't a ticket to prosperity.  Call it an issue with an entitled generation X if you will; all duped by rich baby boomer parents that they're smart, good looking and that the world is their oyster.

I'm of a different mind.  I tried that make it thing, and didn't quite pull it off.  The first time.  Well, that is, I'm not sure I've really pulled it off the second time (or whichever time this is), either.  But you know, I think that's ok.


From what I know, parents really expected (when they were able) to help their kids out over a long period of time back in the day.  I get the picture that the 'send off' period used to be much longer than the now typical three months in the summer after you graduate high school.  I imagine it used to be closer to 10 years - if not more.  The real surprise is a culture that so greatly values independence at all.  There is something to it - I'll admit.  I remember thinking, the first time my make it plan blew up in my face, "Geez, God help me so I don't end up like George Costanza."

I hope that prayer at least has been answered!

But as I read through a chunk of the Pauline scriptures, I find a different idea being encouraged; a novel approach to life becoming more and more appealing.  America is slowly discovering it through pain - and most certainly sees it as more curse than blessing.  They may call it dependency, but with the right heart - I call it interdependence.

Interdependence that offers a helping hand to someone in need, especially friends and family.  We remember when we were helped.  Interdependence that allows children without much direction the offer of time and support until they find their wings.  We hoped for the same.  Interdependence that hopes for peace in the midst of conflict - for truly we are all in this together.

Anymore, I'm not proud to think of myself as independent.  Yes, generally Jo and I pay for our bills on our own.  Yes, now we can afford to make it on our own, and for the time being have salaries that help us feel like we have it all together.  But we don't.  We need help, not just monetarily but relationally, emotionally, and spiritually.  We've learned to embrace the help we receive with hopes that when the opportunity comes, we can do the same.

Thank God for this interdependent life.


"For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others."
- Romans 12:4-5

"Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."
- Galatians 6:2 

1 comment: